Japanese golfer Hinako Shibuno has completed a fairytale week by winning the Women's British Open.
Playing in her first major championship, Hinako Shibuno of Japan birdied the final hole to win the AIG Women's British Open in stunning fashion Sunday.
With American Lizette Salas already in the clubhouse at 17-under for the tournament, Shibuno birdied the 72nd hole to pull off the remarkable victory at Woburn Golf Club with a 4-under 68 to beat Salas by one shot.
Known as Smiling Cinderella in Japan, the 20-year-old Shibuno lived up to the billing, high-fiving fans as she made her way up to the 18th tee.
Salas, a 30-year-old from Azusa, Calif., carded a sparkling 7-under-par 65 but Shibuno, playing in the final group, made sure a play-off would not be necessary.
FINAL LEADERBOARD (To Par, Round 4 Score and Payouts))
1. Hinako Shibuno: -18, 68 ($675,000 £540,000)
2. Lizette Salas: -17, 65 ($412,607 £339,311)
3. Jin Young Ko: -16, 66 ($299,317 £246,146)
4. Morgan Pressel: -15, 67 ($231,545 £190,413)
5. Ashleigh Buhai: -14, 70 ($186,369 £153,262)